University Housing

Student Affairs

Living on Campus

Living on Campus

Here is important information students must know about living on campus. If students have any questions, they may contact their RA.

Alcohol and Drugs: The possession, distribution or consumption of alcohol in University operated residence halls is prohibited, regardless of age. Knowingly being in the presence of alcohol or illegal drugs, whether or not the substance is actively in use, is prohibited. All residents and their guests are expected to follow the Residence Hall Alcohol and Drug Policy.


Bicycles and Personal Electronic Devices (i.e. scooters): All bicycles and personal electronic devices must be registered with the Parking Services office. Bicycles and scooters must be parked and secured to racks and may not be left in any location that obstructs pedestrian traffic. Bicycles may not be kept in student rooms or stored in any other part of the residence hall. See the Bicycle Policy (see page 25) or the Personal Electronic Device Policy for more information.

student using microwave

Cleaning: Residents are responsible for keeping their room, bathroom, and suite in a clean and sanitary condition. It is important for residents to develop and follow a cleaning schedule with their roommates or suitemates. Damage and/or cleaning charges will be assessed for rooms or suites left in unsatisfactory condition at check-out or during room inspections. A Room Condition Form (RCF) is provided to residents when they move in to document the room’s condition at the time of move in. Residents are encouraged to purchase “Safer Choice” or “Green Seal” certified products to protect the environment.

Cooking: Most residence halls provide common kitchens in which residents may cook. Many kitchens also have refrigerators for short-term use while cooking. All items placed in the common kitchen must be labeled with the resident’s name and room number. Residents must remove personal items from the common refrigerators when they are done cooking. Residents are responsible for cleaning up after themselves during and after using the kitchens. For the safety of all residents, do not leave food unattended while cooking. A common mistake is to overcook microwave popcorn. We recommend that residents do not use the “Popcorn” button on the microwave, instead follow the cooking directions on the package and watch it carefully. Burnt popcorn may activate the hall’s fire alarm which causes all residents to evacuate. If a resident’s actions cause the Fire Department to respond, Property Management will impose a $200 fine in addition to any costs for cleanup and/or restoration.

Courtesy Hours: Courtesy hours are in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week in all areas of the residence halls including student rooms, suites, hallways, and lobbies. During courtesy hours a resident are encouraged to ask noisy residents to reduce their noise. The resident(s) causing the noise are expected to comply with requests to reduce or eliminate noise. For more information about noise expectations in the residence halls, read the Noise Policy.

Decorations and Furnishings: All residents must decorate their rooms in compliance with the Decorations and Furnishings Policy.

garbage and recycling cans on campus

Garbage and Recycling: Residents are responsible for emptying their own garbage and recycling and transporting it to the dumpsters or receptacles adjacent to their residence hall. Residents are expected to put their trash in the university’s trash dumpsters (photo left) and items to be recycled into the blue roll carts. Resident trash and recycling must not be placed in or near the Hand Pick Up bins (photo right). All residents are encouraged to recycle plastic, paper, cardboard, aluminum and steel cans. To learn more about recycling in the residence halls, visit the Residential Recycling Website.

Heating/Cooling: 191 College, 160 Ross, South Donahue, and the Village residence halls have in-room thermostats to control heating and air-conditioning.

Due to the nature of the mechanical system in the Quad and Hill, heating and air-conditioning on demand is not available. Quad and Hill residence halls are in either heating mode, cooling mode, or neutral mode (neither hot nor cool). Controls on the Fan Coil Units only allow residents to control On/Off and Fan Speed. Changeovers from heating to cooling or vice versa are made manually as determined by AU Housing. As a part of the Quad renovation project, Quad rooms will have in-room thermostats as buildings are renovated.

There is always the possibility that unusual weather patterns may cause some occupants temporary discomfort. Each winter, AU Housing addresses the question of when to adjust the heating/cooling in the Hill and the Quad. Alabama winter temperatures are often mild with highs nearing 70 during the day and lows in the mid-40s in the evening. With over two thousand people living in the Hill and the Quad, providing the optimal indoor climate can lead to a challenge as we try to meet everyone’s needs. Please be assured that the AU Housing staff do our best to accommodate heating and cooling needs through the winter months. Quad and Hill residents will receive email notification from AU Housing when heating and cooling is switched.

Hosting Guests: Residents are permitted to hosts guests in their rooms as long as they follow the rules outlined in the Visitation and Guest Policy. Quad and Hill residents may host guests from 10 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Village and South Donahue residents may host guests from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. each day. Residents are responsible for the behavior of their guests. Residents can visit other residents in the same residence hall at any time, as long as they are invited and all roommates consent. A resident may have no more than two overnight guests at any one time, provided all roommates/suitemates approve.

Lockouts: For personal safety, it is important for residents to lock their room or suite door each time they leave and carry their keys with them at all times. Lockout assistance fees are charged to all students after the 15th day of classes in the fall semester. Students may request complimentary lockout assistance at the Area Office when is it open. Residents who request lockout assistance when the Area Office is closed (holidays, weekends, and weekday evenings from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m.) are charged $50 each time. To request lockout assistance when the Area Office is closed, residents must call the RA on duty phone. Residents may be required to show proof that the keys are in their room and if the keys cannot be produced, the RA will report the keys lost and the student will be charged $100 for a lock change. When residents request lockout assistance more than three times in a three month period, residents will be referred to their Area Coordinator for excessive lockouts. For more information about keys and residence hall access, read the Key and Hall Access Policy.

medical needle disposal container

Needle Disposal: For medical reasons some students must use hypodermic needles and syringes. Used needles and syringes cannot be placed in regular trash containers. Alabama Department of Environmental Management regulations require that used needles and syringes must be placed in “SHARPS” containers. Contact Auburn’s Medical Clinic (334) 844-6125, to make arrangements to discard the SHARPS container with them.

Personal Property: Auburn University Housing and Property Management are not responsible for residents’ belongings during occupancy or after check-out. Residents are encouraged to have appropriate and adequate renters’ insurance or to make sure their belongings are covered under their parents’ home owner’s insurance. Auburn University’s Risk Management and Insurance Department has made arrangements with Arthur J. Gallagher and Company as AU’s preferred provider to offer specialized student property protection insurance. For more information about property and renter’s insurance and to purchase coverage, go to the College Student Insurance website. In addition, students wishing to lease room safes may order them prior to fall move in through the Collegiate BedLoft website.

Pets: Pets, except fish, are prohibited in the residence halls. Fish may be kept providing (a) the fish tank does not exceed 20 U.S. gallons and (b) all residents of the room agree to have a fish tank in the room. Residents are responsible for caring for the fish over breaks. Please keep in mind that almost all of the halls are closed at Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring breaks.

Any prohibited pets found during room inspections must be removed within 24 hours. The pet owner will be fined $200 and will be referred to University Housing for conduct sanctions. Additionally, the pet owner may be assessed for pest control and/or cleaning costs. Read the Pet Policy for more information. Service animals are permitted. Emotional Support Animals are permitted if approved through the Office of Accessibility.

Quiet Hours: Quiet hours in all residence halls are 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. every day. The Noise Policy applies to all residents and their guests.

Smoking: Auburn is a smoke-free campus. Smoking is prohibited in all interior and exterior areas of all residence halls. Evidence of smoking will result in a $200 fine.

Sustainability on Campus: Check out the Office of Sustainability’s resources page for guides to living on campus, transportation, packing for move-in, and more. The Events Calendar is also a great resource to find sustainability events happening on campus.

Last modified: April 26, 2024